Maesteg Harlequins RFC | 1st Team 24 - 22 Aberavon Quins RFC | 1st Team
Andrew Healy
Try 1
Geraint Evans
Try 1
Michael Owen
Try 1
Rhodri Thomas Davies
Conversion 2
Benjamin Andrew Davies
Try 1
Quade Boal
1 Try
Marc Sheppard
1 Conversion
Daniel Morgan
1 Try
Liam Christopher Oates
1 Try
Callum Beynon
1 Try

Match Report
17 December 2017 / Team News

Maesteg Quins 24 Aberavon Quins 22
Aberavon Quins with several front line players missing travelled to unbeaten league leaders Maesteg Quins with little hope of success. The opening minutes were all Maesteg as their pack totally destroyed the visiting scrum and were 12-0 up in five minutes through two tries and a conversion. Aberavon Quins line-out was also disrupted and their main occupation was defending. The marauding Maes forwards controlled the situation but stern defending kept them at bay before a yellow card give the home side their third try , Aberavon Quins raised hopes when Tom Owen almost scored with a powerful touchline dash. Callum Beynon then charged down a kick and followed his fly hack for forty metres to score with Sheppard converted from the touchline. Good kicking from hand by Ryan Pugh stemmed the flow of home attacks but the visitors were glad of the half time break
Refreshed by the half time break Maesteg recorded their third ‘push over’ try to secure the bonus point.
 A half hour remained as the visitors opened up play and exploited the tiring home eight. Diminutive scrum half, Billy Rowlands was a continual thorn in the home flesh  and O’Callaghan, Steve John and Liam Oates covered acres of ground. Sheppard made some strong runs from midfield and fellow centre Quade Boal finished in fine style, the conversion attempt by Sheppard was inches wide in the tricky wind. The Aberavon forwards with Daniel Helson, Tom Morley and Dan Morgan , although outdone in the scrums, put in  good shift in the open play with the visiting forwards speeding along the muddy surface as the home eight floundered. Maesteg hit back in their final attack, which again left the visitors with fourteen men as another yellow card was waved. This did not inhibit the visitors and enterprising running from Ryan Pugh and Foard Cooksley posed problems for the home defence. Minutes remained when it was the Aberavon Quins eight who turned the screw with a great maul getting skipper Daniel Morgan over for a try. Sheppard was agonisingly close with a wide angle conversion. From the restart Conor O'Callaghan Marc Sheppard and Foard Cooksley ripped the home defence apart and lock Liam Oates dived over and the final conversion attempt into the wind from a wide angle was just below the crossbar as the final whistle was blown.



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos