Maesteg RFC | 1st Team 23 - 20 Aberavon Quins RFC | 1st Team
Foard Cooksley
1 Try
Marc Sheppard
5 Penalty

Match Report
13 March 2017 / Team News

Maesteg 23-20 Aberavon Quins

Maesteg 23 Aberavon Quins 20

Maesteg removed the Quins from joint leadership of division one West Central in a remarkable last gasp effort.

Maesteg starred brightly with some forward bursts involving Turner, Morruzzi and Karl Davies. The Quins defended well all attempts at back play by the hosts were comfortably dealt with by the Quins three quarters. Cameron Jones put the home side ahead with a straight penalty from 22m.

Great back play from The Quins  which saw No.8 O’Callaghan combine with scrum half Flynn combined with inter passing with Ryan Pugh and Crealock put Cooksley into a gap for a spectacular score. Fly half Sheppard struck an upright with the conversion attempt but soon stretched the lead with a penalty after a great forward drive. Any attempt of counter attacking by Maesteg were thwarted by aggressive Quins defence with Dawe, Hopkins and Colarusso putting in eye catching performances. Sheppard increased the lead with another penalty as the home side continually transgressed at the tackle area. Are rare visit into Quins territory led to a second penalty from Jones.

A huge forward drive from with Cox, Beynon and Bowen to the fore forced another penalty which Sheppard goaled. Colarusso following a huge kick by Sheppard forced another penalty in the tackle area and the fly half obliged. Some good attacks from the Quins featured good running from Pugh, Cooksley and Crealock but the Old Parish defence stood firm. The attempts at back play by the home side bordered on the farcical as they floundered in face of the tackling of Pugh and Dacey and front row men Hopkins and Helson also contributed much. On the stroke of half time a rare Maesteg attack forced penalty and an amazed Hopkins was shown a yellow card.

Jones goaled to make it 17-9 to the Quins at the break.

Early in the second half a good forward attack from Dawe, Beynon and Cox saw Flynn just short of the line. Another penalty at the tackle area let Sheppard make it 20-9.

The Maesteg forward effort grew stronger as they ignored their backs and the Quins were forced to defend for long periods.

With ten minutes remaining the Quins were forced to hang on grimly as the big home forwards drove on relentlessly. The Quins eight started to back peddle in the scrums but hopes were kept alive with good line out play from Bowen, Beynon and O’Callaghan.

Into Injury time the Quins defence was breached by a huge forward effort and Karl Davies dived over. Jones converted from a wide angle to narrow the gap but influential Quins skipper was yellow carded and in the dying seconds the seven-man Quins pack could not stem another Maesteg drive, which secured victory through a Healy try converted by Jones.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos